Stat Counter

Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Lunch So Nice We Had It Twice

Dear Mom,

For the second year in a row, my friend Leora and I hit ABC Kitchen for lunch on MLK Day. You would have loved meeting Leora. We met through work but would have been friends "in real life" however we'd met...she went to Harvard undergrad and got a PhD in English at Columbia. She worked in publishing before she sold out like me and cashed into the corporate world.

She is witty, wise and just plain wonderful. She cracks me up with her dating advice and insights! (She's happily married.) And, we bonded more over the past year, as she lost her dad to pancreatic cancer when she was in her 20s. So, she could really empathize with how hard it was when you were sick.

Anyway, our lunch was practically an exact repeat of the lunch we had last year! That post actually has recipes, if anyone wants 'em. You may recall I made a few of these dishes for you, Betty, Billy and Karen last February when we watched some awards show... And Leigh Ann made Nanami's Greek Fish. That family recipe definitely needs to be the subject of a future post!

But back to the lunch:
roasted kabocha squash toast, fresh ricotta and apple cider vinegar
line caught tuna sashimi marinated with ginger and mint
shaved raw fluke, crushed olives, lemon and chilies

braised hake, cabbage, chilies and seaweed
black sea bass with chilies and herbs, spinach and basil
sundae with salted caramel ice cream, candied peanuts and popcorn, whipping cream & chocolate sauce

Ordinarily, I might have tried harder to order some new things, but we loved it all so much last time, we just did a full-out repeat! I treated myself to some holiday Sancerre, but Leora had to work in the afternoon and was thus a good girl. 

I love to consult Leora whenever I am having dating problems, as she cracks me up with her honest insights. I keep a list of some of my favorite quotes from her when I've pinged her to get advice or to share one of my stories about a crush gone awry...  

"Are you serious? This guy is already creating work for you. It's like you have to fact-check everything he says and come up with an alternate narrative that would make what he said true..." 

"I bet he was thinking, 'Good thing she's pretty. Too bad she keeps talking with her words and her ideas and everything.'" 

"Aww, poor guy's been given the wrong script--thinks he's the love interest when he's really Ducky Dale."

"I feel a little bad for him. I don't care how many people he assassinated for the CIA -- he doesn't know who he's dealing with."

"Watch out boys, she'll chew you up..."

And...my very favorite of all time: 

"Lynsley, sometimes guys keep calling you and asking you out because they like you, not because they are insane. And sometimes guys don't call not because they are highly-evolved creatures giving you space but because they are turds who date 20-something Miley Cyrus lookalikes." 

Ha! I love her. I wish you'd met her. 

Saudade,

Lynsley


No comments: