Stat Counter

Monday, November 1, 2010

Wild Rice with Cranberries and Caramelized Onions

For tonight's supper club, I needed to make a side to go with Anne's chicken with basil and goat cheese. Last week at Costco, I bought an economy bag of Craisins, one of my favorite pantry staples. (Side note: I am eating them in my morning oatmeal with a tablespoon of orange marmalade, a trick I learned from Caribou. Great fall breakfast!)

Anyway, the bag of craisins had an intriguing wild rice recipe on the back, and Anne's chicken seemed like a good opportunity to try it. I think this would also pair quite well with a simple pork tenderloin.
Combine 2 cups chicken broth with 1/2 cup brown rice and 1/2 cup wild rice. (Note: I purchased a mix of both and simply used 1 cup of rice.) Bring rice and broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. (Or follow rice package directions.)

The recipe calls for three medium onions, sliced in thin wedges. My mom was still here and cut those up for me. Talk about taking one for the team -- she had to leave before it was finished, so she didn't even get to taste any of it. I forgot to tell Mom to slice them, not dice them, but you really cannot complain when someone else is cutting up your onions for you.
Cook the onions with 3 tablespoons melted butter and 2 teaspoons brown sugar over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and onions are soft and translucent. Reduce heat to low. Slowly cook onions, stirring often, for 25 minutes or until they are caramel in color. Stir in 1 cup of dried cranberries.
Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until cranberries swell. Mix rice and cranberry onion mixture with 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Everyone agreed this recipe is a keeper for fall. Would be great with grilled pork chops or a fabulous turkey side for Thanksgiving! Amy made a super-moist Pumpkin Pie Cake from Cooking Light and shared the extra pieces. I may be having one with my morning coffee.

No comments: