Stat Counter

Monday, November 22, 2010

Simplest Butternut Squash Soup

A few weeks ago, Parade magazine published a recipe called Simplest Butternut Squash Soup. This is one of my favorite fall flavors, and the recipe is exactly what the article promised: "embarrassingly simple" but full of "rich flavors that will make any home cook proud."

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash (about 3 lbs.)
3 slender or 1 1/2 larger leeks, white parts only, split lengthwise, washed and cut into 1-inch-long pieces
3 cups whole milk
3 cups water (I substituted chicken broth for more flavor)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg

Directions:
Use a vegetable peeler to peel the squash. Scoop out the seeds and string with a sharp spoon and discard. Cut the squash into 1- to 2-inch chunks. Toss into a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the leeks, milk and water (or broth); salt generously and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook 25-35 minutes, or until the squash is soft enough to mash when pressed lightly with the back of a spoon.
Using a blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches until it is very smooth. It may be thick: thin to your desired consistency with milk or water. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Reheat as necessary. (This soup is at its best when truly hot.)
Serves 6. I recommend freezing some and saving it for a day when you need an easy lunch or dinner. The recipe also says you can garnish it with chopped apples and/or hazelnuts and walnuts and a drizzle of creme fraiche or heavy cream. I didn't take the time to do any of that, and it was still very tasty.

1 comment:

Elyse [Pretty. Happy. Busy] said...

I am so glad you posted this! Butternut Squash Soup is one of my all time favorites, but I am intimidated with how to make it at home. This seems easy...ok I can do this! I am also cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 6, a first to say the least... so I have been doing some serious recipe browsing on your blog. If you have any entry level T-Giving ideas, I'd love to know your suggestions!