Stat Counter

Monday, November 1, 2010

Sunflour Baking Company

My writing club buddy Lisa told me about a new bakery in Elizabeth. While Mom was still asleep in my guest room, I drove over and got us a little Monday morning breakfast sampler. If only every week started this way!

I went a little overboard and purchased four things for the two of us to split -- we are suckers for variety. The haul: a cherry almond scone, a chocolate croissant, a raspberry "pop tart," and (for a little something savory) a ham and cheddar muffin.

Then I took a few minutes to heat up the lot in my toaster oven, which I'm convinced is essential for true enjoyment of all baked goods -- especially scones. (Please note the extra color on the scone is from my toaster oven, not the bakery.)
The verdict? DELICIOUSNESS!!! Picking a favorite seems cruel, but I might have to go with the chocolate croissant. It wasn't unique, just a perfect rendition of the classic pastry in a lovely scroll-like shape. Second place would be the pop tart, which was decadently buttery and had the perfect burst of gooey raspberry flavor.

Check it out! http://www.sunflourbakingcompany.com/ It's on the corner of Pecan and 7th Streets in the shopping center across from Showmars on 7th. Another clever thing they offer is 4-inch pies for $6. They had coconut cream, banana cream and chocolate cream. I will be back...too bad it's not closer to my house. Then again, maybe that's not such a bad thing!

2 comments:

Page said...

Sounds and looks delish! Glad to know it's close -- but not TOO close -- to me.

Unknown said...

Yum!!!! I am going to try to check this out his week!