Many people who don't cook all year long feel pressured to get in the kitchen this week. Should you be less than thrilled with your results on Thanksgiving Day, I thought I'd commiserate with a few failures of my own.
My friend Ranie and I decided in junior high to bake the "Better than Sex Cake" from our school's cookbook. We weren't sure what went wrong with the dry, flavorless cake we produced, but we decided that whole sex thing didn't seem like much to look forward to after all.
Several years ago, I cooked potato soup to feed my church study group and refrigerated it until our meeting the following night. Chatting away with my friends, I forgot to keep stirring the soup as I reheated it on our host's stove. The result: my carefully prepared soup tasted as if it had been simmered with cigarette butts. Thank heavens for the cornbread my mama made to go with it.
Reheating was also the root of a tough lesson learned as a child--and one that I unfortunately learned again last week. Wanting to help my busy grandmother prepare lunch, I removed a ceramic container of vegetable soup from the refrigerator and put it on "high" on the electric stove. In a few minutes, the heat had cracked the container all the way around the bottom. For a good 20 years, I remembered the lesson: glass will crack if exposed to sudden changes in temperature. Then a few weeks ago, I microwaved chicken broth in a Pyrex measuring cup -- a vintage '60s job inherited from my other grandmother. I emptied the hot stock into my soup and proceeded to crack the cup by filling it right back up with cold water.
Whatever's on your menu, I'm sending you good kitchen karma -- with a hefty side of cornbread -- for your own experiments this week!