Stat Counter

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Moveable Feast in Brooklyn

Memorial Day weekend, Rob and I ventured over to Caracas Arepas in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. When my friend Jason came to town, he asked for food recs on Facebook. Someone swore by this place, so I was intrigued!
We got three kinds. One had pork, one was guacamole and chicken, and another one had plantains and beans. Or hell, maybe there were plantains in with the pork one too? I forget. They were all delicious! Plus the place had a cool garden in the back. Fun field trip!
The rest of these pics are kinda gnarly, to be honest, but I'll show you anyway. I had obviously had entirely too much wine when I thought this was photo-worthy -- these are the mussels Rob and I had later on in the afternoon once the arepas had burned off.
It rained, so we got stuck inside a really cool restaurant (Sweetwater...a place Travis and I randomly discovered last fall). We made the most of it drinking wine, eating mussels and having this amazing gnocchi with cheese and truffle oil.
Let me just round out the Memorial Day eat-a-log by telling you that on Friday night we had a great meal at a Latin place on Greenwich Ave. It's called Yerba Buena. Come to think of it, that's why we ended up having arepas on Saturday, because we had some absolutely amazing pork arepas at on Friday. They had cole slaw on top...wow...I'm getting hungry again just thinking about them!

This paella was good too, but those arepas really rocked my world.

No comments: