Stat Counter

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chicken and Leek Treat

I was supposed to be spending the week fasting so I could blow it out in Chicago this weekend for Meghan and Drew's wedding...

Oops.

When I got home on Tuesday night, Kurt and his friend Tony had just ordered takeout from Tea and Sympathy, the British shop around the corner. This place could single-handedly change the reputation of British food!

The boys insisted I add on to the order and join them, instead of eating the sad bowl of pea soup I'd intended. What's a girl to do? I cracked under the pressure and ordered the chicken and leek pastry pie.

We were halfway through Glee when the buzzer sounded. In short: Heaven! The chicken was tender, the sauce rich and flavorful, the pastry crisp and decadent. The mashed potatoes and veggies were the perfect sides.
Tony had shepherd's pie...
And Kurt had steak and Guinness pie...
It was worth every calorie! I'm not sure how I feel about being able to dial up this sort of decadent comfort and have it carried to my doorstep. We extended our splurge by getting two desserts. Both came with a generous tub of hot custard sauce to go on top. The apple crumble was perfectly nice...

But I'm embarrassed to admit what I might do for another bite of sticky toffee pudding. Remember when you were a kid and you said you loved something, and your friends would taunt, "Why don't you marry it?"

If I had to tie the knot with a dessert, I think I've found it.

No comments: