Stat Counter

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Marc's Kick-Ass Oats

This one's for all you fellow cholesterol-lowering oatmeal eaters...
My friend Katie and her husband Marc enjoyed some awesome oatmeal this summer in Maine. Katie told me how to make it.

The only downside to this recipe is that it required me to purchase a number of things I don't ordinarily keep on hand. But the upside is they're all really healthy, natural wholesome ingredients that I should probably stock anyway.

Kick-Ass Oats
Follow package directions to make 4-6 servings cooked oats (not instant).
To the pot of hot oats, add the following:
  • 2 tbsp. flax seeds
  • 1 tbsp. sunflower seeds
  • 3 tbsp. dried fruit mix (golden raisins, cranberries, blueberries)
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2-3 tbsp. maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp. roasted almond butter (or good peanut butter)

Mix and eat -- preferably in a happy red oatmeal bowl like mine.
A few notes: I forgot I was looking for sunflower seeds and purchased up pumpkin seeds instead. Still yummy. I also put in a good bit more of a few of the ingredients, including the seeds, the fruit and the almond butter. Couldn't find the described fruit mix, but any chopped dried fruit should work.

Obviously this isn't low cal, but these are healthy calories! A bowl of this powered me through a Saturday of holiday errands. I divided up the rest in containers to enjoy throughout the week.

1 comment:

Emily said...

This is great - I love oatmeal, especially in the winter!