Stat Counter

Friday, February 14, 2014

Cheers to Mental Health Days

Dear Mom,

I got a little overwhelmed this week and couldn't keep up with my blogging. But I am feeling MUCH better today, for a couple of reasons. One, I took a true "mental health day" on Tuesday and did some very healing cleaning and organizing in every sense of the word. Two, I am working on something special that feels like a bright light for this year. More to come. And three, I am heading to D.C. this weekend to visit Hilary & Jeff and meet Molly -- finally! 

So, here are the happenings since my last post... 

Jason joined me for church on Sunday. I think he got a kick out of it. Afterwards, we stopped by my favorite magazine shop downtown so I could buy the February issue of Architectural Digest with Van & Skip's house in it. You would have loved it!! 
Debbie E. had sent me a photo last week to make sure I'd seen it. I had to dig under the March issue, but they still had a few copies of February's issue. 

I saved the issue for Neil, as he and Nate were at the Human Rights Campaign dinner last week, where Eric Holder spoke. Neil said one of the other speakers was a magazine editor who was honored for her pioneering work of featuring the homes of same-sex couples in her publications, back when that was a revolutionary thing to do.

Anyway, after church Jason and I got brunch at my favorite neighborhood spot, Monument Lane. We both had the chicken & waffles. So good!

On Tuesday, when I was taking my mental health day, I got the very best surprise: a package of Sugar's best salted caramels from Benjamin & William! They are absolutely divine. Made my heart happy.
I forgot to take photos of two other delightful care packages I got recently, but I will have to play catch-up. You sure did leave us with some sweet friends who make me feel very loved. And that was a blessing, 'cause I was really struggling on Monday. It didn't help when I walked into work and saw A ROACH ON THE WALL.
It was like a metaphor for the day! My office buddy Steven (he of the "shoe condoms) and I snuck out for a greasy brunch at 11, which perked me up a bit, but I just couldn't find my mojo. I was glad I was not ashamed to admit to my boss I was going to take a mental health day on Tuesday. It REALLY did the trick. That's something you taught me, and I am grateful for it. There's nothing wrong with admitting you need a day to get your head straight! I stayed in bed until 11:30, went to a noon spinning class, cleaned up my apartment, caught up on email, and just generally reclaimed control over my life.

Neil came over for supper, and I made the Roasted Halibut with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Butternut Squash from Sara Foster's Fresh Every Day cookbook. 
photo by Quentin Bacon
I also made the Roasted Beet Salad with Oranges, Fennel, and Mint.

It looked nothing like this photo, as I tossed it to break up the goat cheese, but it was delicious! You would have been proud of me for cheating and buying the beets already cooked. I left out the red onion.

It's been a snowy week here, and the snow in Charlotte reminded me of Christmas of 2010, when you stayed an extra night or two with me to see the snow before you went home.


There's Leigh Annie on her front porch in her pajamas. I think you bought her some cute galoshes at TJ Maxx that year. Or maybe that was the year after? Anyway, I think this was the most snow they've gotten in Charlotte since then.
Yesterday I joked with the doorman that I needed a piggyback ride to the subway, but it really wasn't a big deal. I need to do a post on all that I've learned about winter footwear!

Okay, that's all for now. Glad I am feeling better, and glad you taught me to take care of myself.

Saudade,

Lynsley

1 comment:

Dee Stephens said...

You're looking great girl! Yes, the most snow I've seen here since 2004/