Stat Counter

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Dinner at WD-50

Course: SWEET SHRIMP, 'PINE NEEDLES', CHESTNUT, CRANBERRY
Verdict: Exceptional! Loved the presentation. The foie gras sort of dissolved in the heavenly broth. Would have been out of this world had the broth not been sort of tepid. Check out the funky cracker, which I think is basically a high-class pork rind.



Verdict: The subtly flavored scallop wafers were my favorite part. Points for playfulness: they almost looked like styrofoam. Possibly the freshest scallops I've ever tasted.

Verdict: More wafers...I think these were an herby sort? Did not love this one. My vocabulary failed me; I thought squab was seafood instead of foul, and my taste buds didn't adjust.
Verdict: The jerkey was the most interesting part of this one.
COCONUT, CUCUMBER, PINEAPPLE, CHARTREUSE
Best. Palate. Cleanser. Ever.
Verdict: This was incredible! It looked like a hunk of angel food cake. It was a perfect segue from the palate cleanser to the chocolate course. The little crunchy bits were delightful.
Course: S'MORES, BITTER COCOA, MERINGUE, BLACK CURRANT
Last Bite: WHITE CHOCOLATE, GJETOST
This was heaven in a ball. I think gjetost must be something like caramel? O.M.G.
All in all, definitely glad I went...but it doesn't compare to my initial foray into molecular gastronomy, which was at The Fat Duck outside of London. Still, I had no idea what to expect when I went there, whereas I went into WD-50 expecting to be dazzled.

I would not recommend this to anyone but serious foodies, as I think you have to be really fascinated by flavors, textures and presentation to enjoy it. But I'm very glad to have experienced it, and very glad we went all out with the full deal and the wines!

No comments: