Stat Counter

Monday, October 17, 2011

Brooklyn: The Remix

A few weeks ago when we walked Race for the Cure, Jen asked her friend Nora if she'd coordinate a little "day tour" of Brooklyn. They decided to do it this Saturday and invited me to join in. So, it was back to Smorgasburg, the outdoor market!

Fortunately, the L train was back in service this weekend, so getting there was a snap. The street around the subway stop was super cute and full of tons of hipster shops and restaurants. I wore my hipster hat so I'd fit in...
The good folks at Murrays had a cheese booth set up. I loved their little "plowman's lunch" packets, so I got one for $8. It had some scrumptious white cheddar, which they were sampling on site.
Next up: a little cupcake shopping at Kumquat!
 Pumpkin spice with lavender frosting (Jen said these were spicy indeed!).
 Chocolate with pistachio frosting...
And maple with bacon. Guess which one was my favorite?? We also got red velvet and carrot cake with a candied walnut on top.

It was a bit chilly and windy, so instead of eating at the market we went to a restaurant nearby, where I had an absolutely perfect grilled cheese sandwich with bacon and apple. It was on challah bread, so it was just the perfect brunch blend of sweet and savory flavors.
Anyway, next stop was Radegast Hall & Biergarten. I was so amused by the beer descriptions that I wrote down what we each had:

Lyns: Schneider Weisse Original
Fruity with a typical top-fermented smell, and aroma of clove and nutmeg apple tantalizes the nose. On the tongue it is full-bodied, harmonious and well-balanced.

Nora: Gaffel Kolsch
This Cologne beer is light yellow in color and has a neutral flavor with a full malty aroma and a dry undertone.

Jen: Radler of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
Classic Bavarian wheat ale brewed with 50:50 malted wheat to malted barley. Special yeast provides unique phenolic aromas of banana and cloves with a dry, tart citrus edge.

Thanks to Jen, I now know that a radler is a mix of beer and lemon-lime soda. Oh, the things you learn in Brooklyn!

1 comment:

Karen Bernhardt said...

You look so stylish - very cute! And I'm drooling at the food options... YUM.