Stat Counter

Sunday, March 13, 2011

"Killer" Ham Biscuits

At a recent meeting of my book club, despite our best intentions, most of us had not been able to finish (or, um, even start) our book: The Killer Angels, Michael Shaara's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel about the Battle of Gettysburg.

However, our hostess Brittney laid out a fabulous spread, including spinach dip, baked brie with apples and cranberry chutney, crackers, fruits and veggies. The highlight for me was her ham biscuits, which she assured me were incredibly easy. I didn't have my trusty camera, so Peggy snapped this picture for me with her iPhone:
I plan on adding this recipe to my party repertoire, and I've given it a new name in honor of the evening. Brittney provided the recipe and her notes below:

"Killer" Ham Biscuits
1 package of frozen Sister Schubert’s rolls (round aluminum pan)
1/3 lb. of Smithfield country ham thinly sliced or chopped (I think any ham will work, the country ham makes them a little more salty/sweet)
3/4 stick of butter, melted
1/4 c brown sugar

Remove entire roll pack in one piece from the aluminum pan. Cut in half horizontally. Return bottom half of rolls to pan. Mix melted butter and brown sugar in small bowl. Brush mixture on bottom half of rolls. Place ham on top. Place top half of rolls on top of ham carefully lining up the top and bottom as they were before so rolls will cut properly. With both sides together in the pan carefully cut individual rolls along existing lines.

Return pan to bad and freeze for up to 1 month or if ready to use, thaw and heat according to package directions. They are really good to make ahead of time and freeze.

No comments: