Stat Counter

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fish with Tomato, Pepper and Caper Sauce

This week I tried a fish recipe from the March issue of Bon Appetit. I loved it and think it will become a weeknight staple. I simply tossed some arugula with vinaigrette for a side when Leigh Ann and I ate it, but I had the leftovers two nights later and made some roasted potatoes to go along with it. A great combination!

This is from Cabana in West Palm Beach. I don't think they put the restaurant recipes on the Bon Appetit website, so here you go. I halved it and still ended up with about four servings. The only trick to this is you need to start early so you can marinate the fish.

Mahi-Mahi with Tomato, Pepper and Caper Sauce

16 garlic cloves, divided
1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup olive oil
6 8-ounce mahi-mahi or black cod fillets
1 large white onion, halved, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup sliced large pimiento-stuffed green olives
4 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes with puree
1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers from jar.

Puree 10 garlic cloves in mini processor; transfer to glass baking dish. Add 1/2 cup oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper to garlic; whisk marinate to blend. Add fish to marinade, cover, and chill two hours, turning fish occasionally. (I just did this in a plastic bag instead of a dish. I actually forgot to mix up the marinade and just threw it all in the bag and tossed it around for a minute.)
Chop 6 garlic cloves. Heat 1/4 cup oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped garlic, onion, and next 7 ingredients. Cook until vegetables are soft, stirring often, about 15 minutes.

Add wine; stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes with puree and capers; simmer 2 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. (I just bought diced canned tomatoes, but I had a can of tomato sauce on hand, so I poured in a little bit of that to help it thicken, which I think was the point of the tomato puree. Have you ever noticed how many types of canned tomatoes there are? Honestly, it's simply overwhelming!)

Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to skillet with marinade still clinging. Cook until golden and just opaque in center, about 5 minutes per side.
Discard bay leaves from sauce. Divide sauce among plates. Top with fish. Serves 6.
I forgot the capers and left out the bay leaves, and it was still very tasty. Healthy and full of flavor!

No comments: