Stat Counter

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fun With Brussels Sprouts

Of all the flavors you hated as a kid and appreciate as an adult, Brussels sprouts have got to win the prize.
I suspect this is because most of us grew up eating them boiled. Once I discovered you could roast them, they became one of my favorite winter veggies. I love them roasted with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar...just pour a little of both over the quartered sprouts in a roasting pan, toss and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast at 400 until crispy brown. Turn them once or twice as they cook so they brown evenly.
I was also inspired to make a Brussels sprouts "salad" after my recent dinner at The Publican in Chicago. They served shaved Brussels sprouts mixed with lemon and mint over burrata cheese. (There might have been some other yummy stuff in there, but I lost the menu.)
Anyway, I decided to recreate it--or at least a poor cousin. So, I shredded some sprouts with the slicer blade in my Cuisinart. (May try grating them next time.)

I tossed the sprouts with some homemade garlic vinaigrette I had on hand. (2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 clove fresh garlic, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, freshly ground black pepper and 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil.)

Tasty!

This reminds me of the fact my sister discovered a similar "salad" when she studied in Chile. Her host family grated cabbage and simply tossed it with lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Lord knows we can all use an extra, easy veggie to add to the ol' rotation!

4 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

I like roasting the best but steaming is good too!

Karen Bernhardt said...

Oh my god, I LOVE brussels sprouts. But it is imperative that there's freshly grated parmesan cheese. :) And I have a recipe with garlic and white beans - delish.

Elyse [Pretty. Happy. Busy] said...

You are right, I was pushing 30 before I started liking brussels sprouts, and now I love them. Have not mastered them at home yet... seems like a good time to start trying! THanks for the yummy ideas! -elyse

Unknown said...

Throw in some pecans for the last couple of minutes of roasting.