Stat Counter

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I've been adopted!

One of my very favorite families was in town this may remember my friend Peggy's little sister Ellen lives here. We had drinks when I first arrived. Ellen had a birthday on Sunday, so Peggy and her parents came up for a visit. They were joined by Peggy's boyfriend Charles, her uncle Todd and Todd's girlfriend Kiersten. First stop on Saturday: the Brooklyn Botannical Gardens.
From the gardens, we went on a long walk to the Brooklyn Fleamarket and enjoyed the sights and sounds of various neighborhoods along the way.
Brooklyn is really ginormous. I had no idea where we were, and it was cool just to walk wherever Ellen led us.
Unfortunately, the day was a bit toastier than expected, and the outdoor market was steamy. We did a little bit of browsing...
Then we made a beeline for the People's Pops stand, where Peggy treated us to an assortment of flavors. I had peach ginger; Hanna had raspberry basil. There was also cantaloupe...I can't remember with what. Yummy and so refreshing!
I chilled out on Saturday night and let the clan enjoy a family dinner without their "adopted child." Then I met them again on Sunday at Chelsea Market. We wandered around the West Village and found a great brunch deal at Dublin on Hudson Street. The entrees were all either $15 or $17 and came with two drinks! SCORE! (I forgot to mention we cooled off with a round of bloody marys after the popsicles on Saturday. See why I wanted to be adopted by this family?)
I was worried I might be disinherited for ordering a burrito at an Irish place, but they let me stay with the group. Next stop: Magnolia Bakery. What says happy birthday like banana pudding?
Peggy's dad Dick tried to make me finish his blueberry pie. He is the best. I showed everyone where I live nearby, and then we strolled over to the Hudson River Park.
There I proceded to strike out trying to chat up a cute guy Hanna met. He was from Charlotte and recognized Hanna's accent and Charlotte Country Club visor. Charles double-dog-dared me to go talk to him, so clearly I had no other option. He was friendly and chatty, but no digits were exchanged. Oh, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
We headed back to their hotel in Chelsea via the High Line. I was sad to see them go, as they really made me feel like I was part of the family. Y'all come back soon, now, you hear?

1 comment:

Dee Stephens said...

How fun! Did you see any celebs while in Brooklyn?