Stat Counter

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Creamed Corn

One of the things I love making every summer is creamed corn. Yes, it's fattening, and yes, fresh summer corn can stand on its own without any additions. But it's so comforting and delicious, and it pairs so wonderfully with pork, I try to make it at least once a year.

It's a guaranteed man pleaser, so I like to make it when I have some boys to feed. My friends Neil and Nate came through town this weekend, so they gave me just the chance I needed! I served it with Bullock's BBQ (Durham's finest), cole slaw, green beans, biscuits and tomato pie courtesy of my friend Peggy.

For Quincy readers, my mom has informed me that no one's creamed corn could ever be better than BoBo's, but I haven't managed to get his recipe. This version is from the Cotton Country cookbook, published by the Junior League of Morgan County, Alabama. The book was a gift from Dan Price when I worked in television in the Shoals area of that great state.

CREAMED CORN
12 ears corn
1/2 cup butter (the book also says you could use margarine...can't imagine why anyone would)
2 teaspoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup water
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons flour dissolved in 1/4 cup water

Cut corn from the cob and place in pan. Add margarine, sugar, salt and pepper, and water. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add milk and flour dissolved in water. Cook on medium low heat for 30 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking. If mixture becomes too thick, add additional milk or water.

Thank you, Mrs. William A. Sims, wheverever you are!

2 comments:

Jaime Lee Puskar said...

I want the banana pudding recipe :)

Dee Stephens said...

don't you just love JL cookbooks?!