Stat Counter

Friday, June 25, 2010

Panzanella a la Lyns

It makes me so happy when I use what I already have in my kitchen and make something delicious!

Just came up with my own take on panzanella (Italian bread salad). Used mostly ingredients I had from making Greek chicken for supper club on Monday night. So, I cut up tomatoes, chopped fresh oregano, crumbled feta cheese, diced a red bell pepper and minced a little onion. Added some cubes of slightly stale bread that I dried out on low heat in the toaster oven. Drizzled it with lemon juice and olive oil. YUM!

I think the secret to this is eating it right away so the oil and juice soften the bread slightly, but not too much. It's the same concept that works in the fattoush salad I loved in Lebanon, only fattoush uses toasted pita chips. Sarah Foster has a recipe for cornbread panzanella, so this truly seems like a cross-cultural salad.

If you want a recipe for real panzanella, every summer I pull up this one from Gourmet that my friend Anne made for supper club years ago. With a glass of wine and some lemon ice cream, it's a perfect summer supper!

Roasted Vegetable Panzanella

1 comment:

Dee Stephens said...

I had something like this from that new restaurant Blynk yesterday!